Learn to be safe, secure and responsible online.
FTC.gov/OnGuardOnline is a federal government website that was created to provide tips on avoiding scams, protecting your kids online, securing your computer, and being smart with what you do online. Stay up to date with current scams and other security information by reading on their online blog. Important information you’ll learn from this website:
- How to safely dispose of old computers
- Common tricks used by con artists to get money
- How to talk to your kids and teenager about using social networks safely
- How to safely shop online
- Things to consider when signing up for high-speed Internet
- How to establish parental controls to monitor / limit your kid’s online activity
- How (and why) to secure your wireless Internet
Stop.Think.Connect. when using the Internet.
The Department of Homeland Security supports the Stop.Think.Connect campaign which is dedicated to educating the public on Internet safety and security. Visit dhs.gov/stopthinkconnect to learn the simple steps you can take to use the Internet safely at all times. A few things you will learn on this site are:
- Stop: Before you use the Internet, take time to understand the risks and learn how to spot potential problems.
- Stop hackers from accessing your accounts
- Stop sharing too much information
- Stop what you are doing if something doesn’t feel right
- Stop and think about who can see the information you post online
- Think: Take a moment to be certain the path ahead is clear. Watch for warning signs and consider how your actions online could impact your safety, or your family’s safety.
- Think how your online actions can affect your offline life
- Think before you act, don’t automatically click on any links
- Think about who you are talking to online and if you really know who they are
- Connect: Enjoy the Internet with greater confidence, knowing you’ve taken the right steps to safeguard yourself and your computer.
- Connect over secure networks
- Connect with people you know
- Connect with care and be on the lookout for potential threats
- Connect safely and show your friends and family how to behave online